Sunday, June 14, 2009

A long day...

The alarm sounded and it felt like I had just closed my eyes...but, there it was beeping, and when I looked at the time, it was 4 a.m.  Time to get up!  I rolled out of bed, brushed my teeth, got dressed and grabbed my toiletry bags.  (Yes, bags!  After 40 it takes two to carry all the things I need to save my skin and make myself look presentable!  Haha)  

Jess and I were in the SUV for the 45 minute drive to Top Hat Dressage.  We were MACHINES!  We loaded the hay we soaked overnight to help Coda stay hydrated, transfered our stuff from the SUV and loaded Coda.  We were on our way in 30 minutes!  Now that's teamwork!!!

We decided to bring along Jessie's summer reading books from Woodward, although we got the on CD to listen to in the car.  What a great idea!  We listened to the first book the entire way and really enjoyed it.  Tortilla Curtain by T. C. Boyle, is the book.  It is a terrific exploration of illegal and non illegal immigrants (mostly Mexican and other Central and South American folks) and their efforts at survival in Southern California.  The book is a fictionalized story of several American's and their encounters with these folks.  I will tell you this, it really opened my eyes to the struggle these people go through when they choose to come illegally into our country.  It is heartbreaking and heartwarming!  

Jess and I drove straight through with only stops for gas/potty breaks and to adjust Coda's hay.  We made it in 14 hours and arrived at the USET headquarters before dark.  That was our goal!  Karen will be proud of me, because I FINALLY used those 60 plus pounds of rubber mats in Coda's stall!  I'm glad I brought them, because the ground is all crush and run and gravel and Coda is a digger!  As soon as we got him in his new stall he began pawing the ground to see what kind of a mess he could make...HA!  Fooled him!  He gave up and played with his lickit(hanging horse treat), instead!  We were relieved that after that many hours in the trailer, Coda drank, pooped, pee-ed and ate his hay and grain like it was just another day at home!  What a good traveler!

We worked till after dark unloading and setting up the tack stall and then I parked and unhitched the trailer in the dark.  It was 9:30 when we finally left to go check in a the hotel. Thankfully, the hotel was only a 15 minute drive away!  What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment